Replacing Lost Documents

Social Security Card for an Adult

Here are the steps for replacing a social security card for an adult through the Social Security Administration (SSA):

  1. Gather documents proving your:
  2. *A noncitizen not permitted to work must show us a letter from a federal, state or local government agency that explains you need a number and meet all the requirements for a benefit.

  3. Complete an Application for a Social Security Card.  Complete instructions accompany the application.
  4. Take or mail your completed application and documents to your local Social Security office.

All documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. SSA cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents.  Any documents you mail to us will be returned to you along with a receipt.  For more information, please visit the SSA website.

Social Security Card for a Child

To replace a Social Security card for a child, here are the steps to take with the Social Security Administration( SSA):

    1. Gather documents proving your:
    2. Gather documents proving your:
    3. Complete an Application for a Social Security card.
    4. Take or mail the completed application and documents to your local Social Security office or your local Social Security Card Center.

All documents must be either originals or certified copies by the issuing agency.  We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents.  Any documents you mail to us will be returned to you along with a receipt.

Important Information

The SSA will mail your card as soon as we have verified all required documents.  You should receive the card within 10 business days from the date on the receipt.  The replacement card will have the same number as the previous card.

You may not need to get a replacement card.  Knowing the Social Security number is what is important.  You need a Social Security number to get a job, collect Social Security benefits and receive some government services but you do not often need to show your Social Security card.

For more information, please visit the SSA website.

Medicare Card

To obtain a replacement of a medicare card, you can do one of the following:

  1. Submit a request through the Social Security Administration website;
  2. In person, visit your nearest Social Security Administration office. To find the nearest office, use the office locator; or
  3. Call Social Security Administration at 1-800-722-1213 and speak with a representative during their normal business hours.

Certified Birth Certificate

Generally, you must determine in which state a birth occurred and then order a certified birth certificate from that state. Each state’s requirements for ordering a certified birth certificate can be found online by looking at the state’s vital records office website or by calling the vital records office. The CDC also has a handy guide of Where to Write for Vital Records. Usually, a copy of a picture ID is required as well as a signed application. In the absence of a picture ID, secondary supporting documents may sometimes be submitted or a direct family member may be permitted to order a birth certificate with their picture ID, depending on the state’s specific requirements. Each state varies in how long it takes to furnish a birth certificate, although most states provide an option of expedited processing for an additional fee.

For residents born in Colorado, the Office of the State Registrar of Vital Statistics requires the following documentation to prove identity:

  • Primary List – One of the following items is required. No expired documents accepted.
    • Alien Registration Receipt/Permanent Resident Card
    • Certificate of U.S. Citizenship
    • Colorado Department of Corrections ID card
    • CO Temporary Driver’s License Form (with hole-punched Driver’s License)
    • Employment Authorization Card (I-766)
    • Foreign Passport
    • Photo Driver’s License
    • Photo ID Card (DMV)
    • School, University or College ID Card (must be current)
    • Temporary Resident Card
    • U.S. B1/B2 Visa card with I-94
    • U.S. Certificate of Naturalization
    • U.S. Citizenship ID Card (I-197)
    • U.S. Military ID Card
    • U.S. Passport


  • Secondary List – two of the following items required (if you could not supply one valid item from the primary list). Any document expired more than six months will not be accepted.
    • Acknowledgment of Paternity document
    • Birth Certificate of Applicant (U.S. only)
    • Court order of adoption or name change
    • Craft or trade license (Colorado only)
    • DD-214
    • Divorce Decree (U.S. only)
    • Hospital birth worksheet (for infants under 6 months)
    • Hunting or Fishing License (must be current – Colorado only)
    • IRS-TIN card
    • Marriage license (U.S. only)
    • Medicare Card
    • Merchant mariner card
    • Mexican voter registration card
    • Motor vehicle registration or title (U.S. only)
    • Pilot license
    • Selective Service Card (U.S. only)
    • Social Security Card
    • Social Services Card (Medicaid, WIC)
    • State or federal prison or corrections card
    • Tribal ID Card
    • Weapon or gun permit (U.S. only)
    • Work ID, Paycheck Stub (within 3 months), or W-2
    • Any Expired document from the “Primary” List (cannot be expired more than 6 months)

Colorado Certified birth certificates may be issued to persons who meet the criteria on the Detailed Table of Eligibility for Receipt of Birth Certificate.  The cost for a replacement Colorado birth certificate is $17.75.   Certified birth certificates may be ordered in person, by fax or mail, or online.  For more information, please see the Colorado Dept. of  Public Health and Environment website.

Other Vital Records (Death, Marriage & Divorce)

If you must replace a death, marriage or divorce record, the Centers for Disease Control maintains a handy guide of Where to Write for Vital Records.  To use this valuable guide, you must first determine the state or area where the birth, death, marriage, or divorce occurred, then click on that state or area.

Colorado Driver’s License or ID Card

To replace your Colorado Driver’s License or ID card, you must bring in one form of acceptable identification from the DMV identification requirements chart and provide proof of current address.  If you cannot provide the required identification documents, you may be eligible for Exception Processing to provide additional/alternative documents to prove identity.  The cost for a replacement driver’s license is $21 and a replacement ID is $10.50. For complete steps as well as a breakdown of fees, please visit the Colorado Division of Motor Vehicles website.

If you never previously had a Colorado Driver’s License or ID card, please see the Division of Motor Vehicles Smart Start website.  Using that resource, you can apply for the following:

  • New Adult Driver’s License
  • New Driver’s License for a Teen (Under 21)
  • New ID Card

Colorado Motor Vehicle Title

You can apply for a duplicate motor vehicle title  by submitting Duplicate Title Request and Receipt at your county motor vehicle office.

To obtain a duplicate motor vehicle title, residents must provide the following:

For more information, please visit the Duplicate Title page of the Colorado DMV website.

Colorado Boat Registration

You may obtain a duplicate boat registration at a cost of $5 by submitting a registration form requesting replacement to the following address:

Colorado State Parks – Registration Unit
13787 S Highway 85
Littleton, CO 80125

For more information, please visit the Boat Registration page of the State Parks website or call the above office at (303) 791-1920.

The Colorado Collaborative ID Project helps Coloradoans seek determination of their identity in order to obtain benefits, and it maintains a list of helpful Community Resources and Frequently Asked Questions for persons with ID replacement needs.

The official Colorado United site also created a helpful document that helps flood victims in Replacing Important Documents, including: birth and death certificates, credit cards, driver’s licenses and State-issued identification (ID) cards, citizenship and naturalization papers, income tax returns, insurance policies, mortgage papers, passports, marriage certificates, divorce certificates, military discharge papers, property deeds, savings bonds and notes, social security cards, vehicle and car titles, and wills (last will and testament).